Level 3 Apprenticeship
Our Level 3 Veterinary Nursing course is an Apprenticeship; meaning our students are employed and working in practice for 30+hours each week, with day release to College throughout the duration of their course.
The Level 3 qualification is essential to become a Registered Veterinary Nurse. You’ll be supported in developing vital clinical and employability skills in a real-life setting in preparation for the responsibilities and accountability of being a Registered Veterinary Nurse.
What will I study?
- VN01 Professional Veterinary Nursing Responsibilities
- VN02 Diagnostic Principles
- VN03 Principles of Veterinary Nursing Care 1
- VN04 Pharmacology and Dispensary Management
- VN05 Practical Veterinary Nursing Skills 1
- VN06 Anaesthesia and Theatre Nursing Skills
- VN07 Life Stage Nursing Care and Support
- VN08 Principles of Veterinary Nursing Care 2
- VN09 Surgical Nursing and Patient Care
- VN10 Practical Veterinary Nursing Skills 2
Embedded within this qualification is the content required for a Student Veterinary Nurse to become a Suitably Qualified Person (SQP) for Companion Animals.
How long will it take?
- 2 – 2 and a half years, full-time
What qualifications do I need to start?
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade C/4 or above, to include English Language, Maths and Science, or suitable equivalents (for example, our Level 2 Diploma for Veterinary Care Assistants may substitute the Science GCSE, while Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths and English would be suitable in lieu of GCSEs in these subjects).
- Suitable placement as an apprentice Student Veterinary Nurse in an RCVS Approved Training Practice, or one which is seeking approval.
What qualifications will I gain?
- Level 3 Apprenticeship in Veterinary Nursing
- Suitably Qualified Person (SQP) for Companion Animals
Course options after this programme
- Progress onto the Advanced Diploma in Veterinary Nursing
- Complete further training in areas of interest, such as Emergency and Critical Care
- Work as a Registered Veterinary Nurse
- Become a Head Veterinary Nurse or Practice Manager
- Pharmaceutical Rep
- Teach Veterinary Nursing or support Student Veterinary Nurses in Practice as a Clinical Coach
- Work abroad as a Veterinary Nurse
Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing Registered Veterinary Nurse, Northwich Vets
“I originally worked as long haul Cabin Crew but once I had my whippet Norman I didn’t want to be away from home so much and decided on a career change. As I’m passionate about animals, veterinary nursing seemed like the perfect vocation. I did work experience between flights and loved every minute!
“Although I was a mature student I soon settled in at Reaseheath and the lecturers were all really lovely. The course was really informative and well planned out and I loved how I could put the theory I had learned into practice during my placement.”